Llanelli beaten by dominant Cardiff

Llanelli fell to a comprehensive defeat to defending champions Cardiff, who ran in eight tries in a 57-19 win at Parc y Scarlets.

The Blues and Blacks hit the home side with an early blitz which they never recovered from, despite threatening a resurgence either side of half-time.

Centre Jack Price and No. Ben Williams stood out in a side who were on the back foot for long periods, but, all in all, it was a sobering night for Phil John’s side.

It was Cardiff who dominated the opening period and were three tries to the good inside the opening quarter.

Scrum-half Ellis Bevan got the Blue and Blacks up and running with a well-worked score, wing James Beal added a second after the home side failed to deal with a kick through then back-rower Nathan Hudd drove over from close range.

With Llanelli struggling to find a route out of their own half, fly-half Harrison James extended his side’s lead with a penalty before a charge by No. 8 Ben Williams brought the home side some respite.

A series of line-outs and penalties tested the Cardiff defence from close range and eventually some slick hands out wide found centre Price, who finished well in the corner.

Fly-half Josh Phillips was short with the touchline conversion, but Cardiff stamped home their dominance with a fourth and bonus-point try on the stroke of half-time when prop Marc Thomas touched down at the posts. James converted to make it 29-5 at the interval.

Needing a strong start to the second half, Llanelli got just that with a score within two minutes of the restart.
A series of strong carries from the forwards put Cardiff on their heels and flanker Luca Giannini showed his strength to drive over between the posts for a try converted by Phillips.

But once again, back came Cardiff with their fifth try, scored by wing Dewi Cross before flanker Ellis Thomas powered over against his old side for try number six.

Llanelli had their third try when a crisp handling move from the three-quarters put wing Jac Davies over for a score converted brilliantly by Phillips, but the remainder of the game belonged to the visitors.

Arron Pinches and Liam Hutchings were yellow carded for a touchline scuffle, Cross pounced on a cross-field kick and after Price was sin-binned for a high tackle, Cross completed his hat-trick in the final minute to put the icing on the victory for the visitors.