Super win at the Champions

Super win for the squad at the Wern yesterday. That’s 5 back to back wins now and we’re in 6th spot in the league.  Another big challenge next game, Pontypridd at Sardis Road in a couple of weeks.

Following match report courtesy of Ian Golden, Sporting Records Online Ltd.


Llanelli kept up the pressure at the top end of the Indigo Premiership at the Wern on Saturday, after kicking a last minute conversion to beat Merthyr.
The Ironmen had gone into half-time with a 10-5 advantage following a scrappy 47-minute first period that was littered with stoppages for injuries, but fans were treated to more free-flowing rugby in the second half as Llanelli did well to earn their victory.
The away side took the lead on five minutes after Ryan Davies caught a cross-field kick to run over unchallenged in the corner. Ioan Hughes’ conversion attempt just sailed wide.
Merthyr levelled almost straight away with a similar try, although Sam Jones did well to beat off his markers to ground. Matthew Jarvis converted well to give the home side a 7-5 lead.
As the match approached the half hour, it needed another score. It nearly came from a try as James Soanes broke well, but Harley Thompson slipped as he was in with a chance of reaching the line. But Merthyr won a penalty from the next phase, which Jarvis duly kicked from 10 metres out.
Merthyr could have got the first try of the second half, after putting the pressure on Llanelli in the first ten minutes. Instead Jarvis chose to kick another close-range penalty to put them 13-5 up.
Llanelli pulled Merthyr’s lead back to a point straight away. Ioan Nicholas intercepted a pass in mid field and ran 50 metres to the line with Hughes  converting from in front of the sticks.
But Merthyr extended their advantage again with a well worked blindside move. Tom Daley played a nice one two with Arron Pinches to go under the posts. Jarvis converted again.
Llanelli were eight points down and running out of time. Hughes could have pulled three points back with 11 minutes remaining, but his long-range penalty went under the crossbar.
However, he had an easier kick on 33 minutes and brought the score back to 20-15.
Then with two minutes to go, following a penalty, the visitors opted to ‘tap&go’ 5 metres out. From the drive, Prop forward  Gareth Harvard drove over the line to bring the scores level. Replacement outside half Tadhg McGuckin who had just come on slotted the conversion  to clinch Llanelli’s win.

Merthyr – Tries: S Jones, T Daley. Conversions: M Jarvis 2. Penalties: M Jarvis 2.
Llanelli – Tries: R Davies, I Nicholas, G Havard. Conversions: I Hughes, Tadhg McGuckin, Penalties: I Hughes.