Hard fought Win at Brewery Field

Bridgend Ravens 20 Llanelli 25

Another vital win for Llanelli, their fourth on the bounce now. They keep their hopes alive of avoiding the drop and must win their final two games to ply pressure on both Bedwas & Bridgend.

It was Bridgend who started the brighter of the two sides and dominated early possession and field position. The pressure paid off when Dewi Cross broke the deadlock with the games first try. Full back Owen Howe slotted the conversion. A few minutes later the home side were penalised at a ruck in mid field 30 metres out, Tom Prydie kicked the penalty to reduce the arrears. Llanelli’s first try came soon after, a driving maul was pulled down just short of the try line and referee Ben Breakspear awarded the penalty try and yellow carded Gheorghe Gaijan. Another yellow for the home side followed when scrum half Declan Smith broke free deep in the 22 metre zone, the home centre failed to release him, from the penalty Prydie extended the visitors lead. A mistake by the visitors following the restart saw Howe slot the goal to bring the score to 10-13. Moments later the TMO ruled out a second try for Llanelli, but wing Kalum Evans got on the scoresheet with a well worked blind side try, Prydie kicked a super conversion wide out. At the half Llanelli led 20-10

Llanelli failed to build on their half time lead and either kicked the ball away too often or tried offloading when keeping possession might have the better option. As a result the home side got momentum and really pressed the visitors. Mid way through the half No8 Joe Miles saw yellow and from the resultant driving lineout, hooker Owen Thomas got the visitors second try, with Howe once again kicking the conversion, it was very much game on! As the game entered the final ten minutes, a neat line break by Prydie saw him feed centre Paul Asquith who crossed for Llanelli’s 3rd try. Back came Bridgend, they won a penalty in front of the posts and again Howe converted to bring the game back to within a score. The home side had one final chance with a lineout deep in the Llanelli 22m zone but the throw was stolen  by lock Chris Long and their chance had gone.

So, for Llanelli another vital win. They move on next week to take on Swansea RFC  who are having a very good season and will come to Parc y Scarlets looking to maintain their fine form. It’s going to be another exciting afternoon next Saturday!! No Scarlets game, so please come along to watch and support the Semis.