Cup Win at Ystrad

Final Score Ystrad Rhondda 18 Llanelli 32

This was a super game of rugby played in great spirit. Llanelli had to work extremely hard to get the better of their Championship opponents but in the end ran out comfortable winners. The scene was set before the game started with the local town choir entertaining the crowd on this fine occasion.

It was nip and tuck early doors with both sides testing each other out but centre Cory Shepherd slotted the penalty goal of the match after five minutes following a mid field breakdown infringement by the visitors. A few minutes later Llanelli scored the first of what would be five tries when hooker Taylor Davies was on the back of a rolling maul to touchdown in the corner. Both sides looked to move the ball out wide whenever they could but defences were well up to it. On 31mins Ystrad got their try from a kick thro from just over half way. Wing threequarter Kurtis Williams won the race to put the home time back in front, with Shepherd adding the conversion Ystrad led 10-5 at the half.

Both sides traded penalties in the early minutes of the second period, Ashley Sutton for Llanelli and Shepherd once again for Ystrad. As the half went on Llanelli started to dominate precedings and on 52mins full back Kalum Evans was on hand to finish off a fine move to bring the sides level with Llanelli’s second try of the match. Three further tries were added by the visitors, a brace from Scarlets Academy player Tom Rogers and by scrum half Gareth George that effectively took the game away from Ystrad. To their credit they continued to play for the full eighty and were rewarded with a try by replacement J Harris to complete the scoring. An excellent game of Cup rugby and a fine advertisement for Ystrad Rhondda – well done boys and good luck for the remainder of the season.

Llanelli wait to see who they’ll be drawn against in the next round of the cup but now have to focus on their next Premiership game against current Champions  Merthyr next Saturday.