Bonus point win over Ravens

Llanelli got back to winning ways with a convincing win over the Ravens at a wet and windy Parc y Scarlets. Having suffered reverses at Colwyn Bay last Saturday and at Aberavon the previous week it was vital to get the win. A bonus point victory which moves them up the table a few places will have pleased all the coaching staff and now they look forward to travelling to the Gnoll next Friday looking to build on this result.
The game started with Bridgend having all the early pressure but the home side’s defence stood firm. In fact, Llanelli looked far more nervous in the early minutes and gave away a soft penalty in front of the posts which outside half Cai Evans calmly slotted. They threatened again, but this time from a penalty a little wider out went for the corner option. They failed to make the most of the opportunity and the chance was lost. Then, on 18 mins came the game changer. From a lineout thirty metres out, Llanelli’s three quarters opened up the visitors defence when wing Liam Hutchings came off a great line to calmly cross under the posts for the game’s first try. With Ioan Hughes slotting what was to be the first of five successful kicks it seemed as though the early tension was all of a sudden lifted. Llanelli now dominated the rest of the game. Their set piece, particularly the scrum was causing havoc and over the course of the remainder of the half created two further scores from their set piece. On 24 mins, prop Richard Bassett was on the back of a maul to power over for the games 2nd try and then just before the half ended, a similar situation saw skipper Nathan Hart control the ball over a retreating Ravens scrum to claim his side’s 3rd try. At the half Llanelli led 21-3.
The second half continued where the first finished, early pressure saw debutant second row Jake Baker, on permit from Ammanford score Llanelli’s bonus point try on 44mins. At 28-3 the game was effectively s over. Bridgend made a number of changes to their pack and they gained much more parity. The game ebbed and flowed, but try as they might the Ravens just could put any real pressure on their opponents and the game was well and truly over when full back Kalum Evans completed the scoring after 73 mins. So, a big win and much needed result for the semi’s.
Next up is the challenge from Neath next Friday evening at the Gnoll.

Final Score Llanelli 35-3 Bridgend Ravens