2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Llanelli 24 v 30 Newport
26 November 2015 - Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli

Match Report

Newport go top of Principality Premiership

LLANELLI slipped to their third straight league defeat at home against Newport – with the Black and Ambers now top of the Principality Premiership.
Wingers Elliot Frewen and Wes Cunliffe, full-back Llywarch Ap Myrddin and inside centre Haydn Palmer got the tries for the visitors on the way to only their second ever win at Parc y Scarlets.
Hooker Torin Myhill, replacement back-row Greg George along with a last-minute try from wing Matthew Owen did secure a losing bonus point for Llanelli, who remain ninth in the table after a seventh defeat of the campaign.
Meanwhile this – Newport’s seventh win of the campaign – sees them jump from fifth to first and three points clear of champions Pontypridd and Cross Keys ahead of their rivals’ fixtures this weekend.
Newport went into the game searching for their first success on this ground since April 2009 when they left with a 36-10 victory.
Llanelli began the better and enjoyed the lion’s share of possession in the early exchanges, forcing a number of penalties what were kicked to the corner – however they lacked real urgency and were also met with some fierce resistance from the Black and Ambers.
It was Newport who scored first midway through the half when Frewen chased down scrum-half Ryan James’ sublime chip to touch down in the left corner, although fly-half Arwel Robson missed the conversion.
And the visitors extended their advantage on 28 minutes with this time Cunliffe doing the damage on the right-hand side, on the end of a good move through the hands with the try once again going unconverted.
However Llanelli responded four minutes later with Myhill forcing his way over, with the try converted by fly-half Billy McBryde.
But Newport quickly seized back the momentum with try number three moments later as Ap Myrddin stole in to score try number three, which this time Robson did convert, to give Newport a 20-8 advantage at the turnaround.
And the bonus point was secured for the visitors three minutes after the re-start when, after a well-worked scrum, Palmer raced through to score with Robson taking care of the extras.
To their credit Llanelli refused to lie down and handed themselves a lifeline on 52 minutes when replacement George collected Trystan Lloyd’s pass to crash over, with McBryde converting.
Robson booted another two points from the tee for the visitors moments later, before Owen butchered a chance to score again for the home side after good work from full-back Dion Jones.
Owen did score in the dying moments – with McBryde converting – but it came late to prevent a Newport victory.
Scorers- Llanelli – Tries: T Myhill, G George, M Owen; Cons: B McBryde (3).
Newport – Tries: E Frewen, W Cunliffe, L A Myrddin, H Palmer; Cons: A Robson (2); Pen: A Robson.


Llanelli RFC 24 - 30 Newport RFC